-0900:
Hi Horace,

I'm having some trouble understanding this formula. If it's meant
to give the relationship between the absolute height of the water
surface at any radius, then it seems to say that at w=0, h= h0,
i.e. h0 is the height of stationary water in the tank.

>Correction follows. Sorry!
>
>The shape of the final equilibrium surface is:
>
>   h = (w^2/2g) x R^2 + h0

However when the water rotates, a dip forms at the middle, which
can drop right down to the floor of the tank at sufficiently high
w. However, according to the formula, for any w > 0, h > h0 for
all R, since the first term is always positive. Therefore, the
formula either doesn't represent what I thought it was meant to
represent, or it doesn't describe reality.

Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk

All SPAM goes in the trash unread.