> From: "Stephen A. Lawrence"

> Of course.
>
> "Do not see the fnord.  If you see the fnord, the fnord
> will eat you.  You must not see the fnord."
>
> Makes you wonder -- are there fnords in the information
> we find on the Internet, too, or are they restricted to
> physical media?  I can't see them so I'm not sure.

Makes me wonder too.

Just yesterday after work, as I was driving across town to partake in a small
Quaker Meeting (I occasionally like to sit quietly amongst these gentle folks)
when I came to 4-way intersection with four stop signs. It's a part of the road
that I've crossed a zillion times before. As I approached my stop sign I made a
very conscious decision to check both ways for cars as well as for oncoming
traffic. THIS IS IMPORTANT NOTE! I MADE AN UNUSUALLY CONSCIOUS DECISION TO
CHECK FOR CARS! Yup! I noted the car on the left had come to a stop. Yup! I
noted the car on the right had come to a complete stop. Yup! I even noted the
car on the opposite side of my road had as well. Feeling secure that all cars
had stopped I knew it was legally my turn to drive my car across the busy
intersection.

I lurched my car forward.

That's when I noticed the Bus coming at me.

I was so intent on watching for all those pesky cars that I literally missed
seeing the bus that, visually speaking, is ten times the size of any car. I had
visually and in the most literal sense one can imagine blinded myself to the
fact that bus had also come to a stop and had started making moving across the
intersection.

I screeched to a stop, as did the bus driver. He honked his horn in absolute
indignation at me, and I can't say that I blame him.

Later, as I tried sitting quietly in Quaker Meditation it goes without saying
that I had a lot on my mind.

I made the following observation:

Bog, indeed, has a sense of humor, especially if the action can be performed at
my own expense. I think Bog was also getting even with me for all the times
when as a small child (that is, when I was more ethically challenged) I dumped
armies of black and red ants into the same ant farm just to watch the carnage.

I hope I've paid my dues.

Regards,

Steven Vincent Johnson
www.OrionWorks.com