Hi Robin and Stephen,

> Actually that's wrong. Because of the way in which tensile
> strength is measured, the force pulling up on the cable can equal
> the weight of the cable, so even at maximum length, almost any
> upward force can be maintained, simply by making the cable
> thicker, until the weight of the cable equals the lifting force.
>
> Of course, it's going to be a lot easier on the kite, if the cable
> is lighter. It would also mean that a better compromise between
> lift and drag can be used. BTW drag in this case is what is
> responsible for energy production, so you want it maximised.
>
> Regards,
>

> Robin van Spaandonk

If tensile strength is a real issue (which I suspect it really isn't) but if it
was:

Another approach might be to strategically place a series of "support lifter
wings" that run all the way up the tether to the kite. While wind drag itself
would not be eliminated (in fact it would increase, see below) it seems to me
that a certain amount of downward tensile stress brought on by the downward
pull of gravity would be alleviated by the lifter wings. For example: Every 500
feet a computer controlled support wing calculated to the right square footage
might be attached to the tether and repeated all the way up to 15,000 feet. You
would need 30 computer controlled support lifter wings to make it all the way
up to 15,000 feet. The trick however might be to determine whether there is
significant tensile strength savings using this approach as stress may simply
be transferred from the downward pull of gravity to the accumulated sideway
wind friction the result of the all the attached lifter wings.

Another thought that I'll bring up again within Vort is whether it might be
economically advantageous to gang up multiple power generator kites on a single
tether. When you get up to 14 - 15 thousand feet it might turn out to be useful
to stack 2,3, perhaps 5 kites or more on a single tether - perhaps separated
every 300 - 500 feet. It seems to me that potential instability introduced by
attaching several power kites on a single tether could be controlled by
sophisticated computer s/w that carefully monitors the lift-flight
characteristics of individual power kites making necessary adjustments every
microsecond.

Regards,

Steven Vincent Johnson
www.OrionWorks.com