On Wed, 4 May 2005, Mike Carrell wrote:

> This is actually not new; the ball has been happily rolling around for
> years, to my knowledge. It is on display in a public museum.

Someone who first posted the Finsrud articles mentioned that the machine
wears out and must be taken down for adjustments.

Back in 1988 we had an intentionally fake PM machine at the Museum of
Science in Boston, one built by David Jones of "Dadaelus" fame.  It spun
at around 1RPM for 8-11 months on four hidden D-cells.  It was exhibited
as a "guess how it really works" contest.

If someone built a fake "Finsrud device," its hidden batteries could keep
it going for weeks, maybe even months before the machine "wore out" and
needed to be returned to the owner for "adjustments."

If it's a real OU device, then running it in a museum is a good first
step, and the need for adjustments might be expected.  Next step is to
publish all details, or better yet, to teach others how to build one.

But if it's fake, then running it in a museum is a good way to maximize
the hoax, and there's even no need to have the museum in on the tric, or
even to fully hide the periodic battery replacement.  Just excuse it as
"need for adjustments."

William J. Beaty                            SCIENCE HOBBYIST website
billb at amasci com                         http://amasci.com
EE/programmer/sci-exhibits   amateur science, hobby projects, sci fair
Seattle, WA  206-789-0775    unusual phenomena, tesla coils, weird sci