Craig wrote:

I'll stop picking on Greg, but what I find amusing is that he doesn't assign
any belief to the idea that the Finsrud device works. He suspects it's using
a spring. If I had achieved SMOT success, then, by far and away, I would
immediately suspect that Finsrud had stumbled upon the same principle that I
had. "Behold! Someone else has discovered this strange magnetic anomaly!"
Yet Greg can't believe it either.

Bingo!  I hadn't picked up on that, but you're right.

This would seem to make it virtually certain that Greg is a conscious liar rather than a fool who believes he's found something real and is just stretching his story a bit to include work he hasn't quite finished.

In any case I've known other people like Greg, who fabricated complex and apparently self-consistent stories involving purported hard evidence (such as videos) which somehow can never actually be shown for reasons which become more arcane as one pushes on them. The assertion that he's doing that is extremely easy to believe and doesn't seem especially improbable. The disappearing witnesses were a mistake in his story, of course, as they're harder to explain away than the missing video or the apparatus which worked but, strangely, no longer exists and can't be rebuilt.