Jed, your system would seriously incentivise crime.

People aren't getting enough to really live on unless they live very hard,
there are fewer jobs so crime is very tempting, you get the extra
money/stuff you need and if you get caught you get to save the money you
couldn't live on anyway so that you are doing well once you get out.

John