In the particular case of LENR (rather than supercooled laughing gas), my
suspicion is that the potentials have to do with buildup of electrons in
dialectically insulated grains (e.g., grains with insulating impurities
interposing between them).  Once a potential reaches a certain level, the
built-up charge will then discharge like a capacitor firing off.  The
absolute amount of charge involved in a single event may be minuscule, but
on a microscopic scale I'm guessing that the strength of the field that
arise before the discharge can often be astronomical.

Eric