Eta Carina (aka "ate a car") is arguably the greatest intergalactic threat
to life Earth, considering that it could already be responsible for known
solar phenomena in our sun (including possibly the 11/5.5 year) cycle going
back billions of years, and it has a mysterious connection to our sun. It is
fairly close to us in cosmological terms.

Here is the most recent story. In the past, Eta Car has been the brightest
star in the night sky (in the Southern hemisphere) and may become so, once
again. It is a binary, and one of the two could be a quark star.

http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2015/0108/NASA-unravels-mysteries-of-huge-s
pace-explosion

About three years ago this came up again on Vortex in this thread

https://www.mail-archive.com/vortex-l%40eskimo.com/msg63181.html

And this is not the first time we have given notice to the "death star". It
has a long ominous history, even on vortex.

Curiously - the last poster in the thread above seems to think that there
could be Rossi connection.