Well said !

From: Jed Rothwell [mailto:jedrothw...@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, January 26, 2015 7:00 PM
To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
Subject: Re: [Vo]:doubling speed every 2 years for decades more, Intel silicon
photonics now revolutionizing data centers, Michael Kassner: Rich Murray
2015.01.26

James Bowery <jabow...@gmail.com> wrote:

Architectures that attempt to hide this problem with lots of processors
accessing local stores in parallel are drunks looking for their keys under the
lamp post.

I disagree. The purpose of a computer is solve problems. To process data. Not
to crunch numbers as quickly as possible. The human brain is many orders of
magnitude slower than any computer, and yet we can recognize faces faster than
just about any computer, because the brain is a massively parallel processor
(MPP). Many neurons compare the image to stored images simultaneously, and the
neurons that find the closest match "come to mind." Many data processing
functions can be performed in parallel. Sorting and searching arrays has been
done in parallel since the 1950s. Polyphase sort methods with multiple
processors and mag tape decks were wonderfully fast.

It is difficult to write MPP software, but once we master the techniques the
job will be done, and it will be much easier to update. Already, Microsoft
Windows works better on multi-processor computers than single processor models.
Multiprocessor also run voice input programs much faster than single processors.

A generation from now we may have personal computers with millions of
processors. Even if every processor were much slower than today's processors,
the overall speed for many classes of problems will be similar to today's
supercomputers -- which can solve problems hundreds of thousands to millions of
times faster than a PC or Mac. They will have the power of today's Watson
computer, which is to say, they will be able to play Jeopardy or diagnose
disease far better than any person. I expect they will also recognize faces and
do voice input better than any person.

There may be a few esoteric problems that are inherently serial in nature and
that can only be solved by a single processor, but I expect most real world can
be broken down into procedures run in parallel. Of course the breaking down
will be done automatically. It is already.

Before computers were invented, all large real world problems were broken down
and solved in parallel by large groups of people, usually organized in a
hierarchy. I mean, for example, the design of large buildings or the management
of corporations, nations or armies.

The fastest data processing in the known universe, by a wide margin, is
biological cell reproduction. The entire genome is copied by every cell that
splits. This is a parallel process. The moment a strand of DNA is exposed to
solution, all of new bases begin match up simultaneously. DNA is also by far
the most compact form of data storage in the known universe, and I predict is
the most compact that will ever be found. I do not think subatomic data storage
will ever be possible. All the human data now existing can be stored in about 7
ml of DNA.

- Jed

---
is active.