Yes, the advances in neural machine learning are real but in substance they
have been around for decades and are now emerging having been submerged in
the noise.  For instance, read Jürgen Schmidhuber's timeline of "deep
learning <http://people.idsia.ch/~juergen/firstdeeplearner.html>" going
back to 1991.   Although I had the highest performing neural image
processor as of 1990 (3e9 connections per second multisource image
segmentation, Neural Engines Corp of La Jolla presented at the IJCNN in San
Diego) my important contribution was circa 2005
<http://prize.hutter1.net/#history> setting up an AI competition based on
Schmidhuber's colleague, Marcus Hutter's notion of universal artificial
intelligence driven by Ockham's Razor (Kolmogorov Complexity).  Hutter's
criterion has now been adopted by the "singularity" folks
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6umr1OP8uo>.

Having said that, there are still important advances that are submerged in
the noise -- not the least of which is Relation Arithmetic
<http://www.boundary.org/bi/articles/Relation-arithmetic_Revived_v3.pdf>
(which, btw, subsumes quantum theory hence quantum information systems) and
even in neural systems, there is insufficient attention being paid to
Hecht-Nielsen's Confabulation Theory
<http://r.ucsd.edu/Cogent%20Confabulation.pdf>.