On Sat, Feb 7, 2015 at 1:49 PM, <mix...@bigpond.com> wrote:

I have a different question altogether. How does one distinguish between
> Cherenkov radiation and light emitted by recombining ion - electron pairs?
> (Where fast particles are responsible for creating the pairs.)

I believe Cherenkov radiation is broadband.  I read today that it is
distinguishable, nonetheless, from bremsstrahlung.  In the case
of bremsstrahlung you need noticeable acceleration (e.g., a bending motion
or a collision), whereas Cherenkov radiation arises from constructive
interference when a charged particle exceeds the phase velocity of light in
a medium.  So you can distinguish the two in the case of a relativistic
heavy ion.  In that case the trajectory of the ion will be straight (so no
bremsstrahlung) but it will give rise to Cherenkov radiation.

My understanding is that Cherenkov radiation is broadband because the fast
particle slowly decelerates, leading the frequency at which constructive
interference to change over time.

Please carefully vet anything I have said here.

Eric