Not sure if it is relevant,  but I frequently saw higher heat output with
electrolysis compared to joule heating  (when conducting over 100
electrolysis experiments).  I dismissed it at the time and tried to always
use an electrolytic control instead.  Rarely did I see what should be seen
(joule heating > electrolysis ).

Jack