Jones, you are the first to discuss the variable mass of the proton.  The
Vavra and Maly solution (which agrees with Naudts) is for the
proton/electron system. There is nothing that says that all of that energy
must come from the electron.  Why couldn't it come from the energy of the
system as a whole, which includes the proton and its spin and fields?.