Terry Blanton <hohlr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Anyway, there does not seem to be any resistance to electric cars today.
>> If it was real, when and why did it vanish?
>>

> There were many billion more gallons of oil in the ground then compared to
> now.  Indeed, we passed "peak oil" a few years ago.

Yes, but why would an automobile executive care about that? Unless he
happened to be on board of an oil company as well as an auto company, why
would he care whether his product enriched an oil company rather than an
electric power company? There were accusations that board members,
stockholders and other influential people had a presence in both
industries. I am sure that is true, but the electric power industry also
had influence. And stockholders.

The explanations for auto executive opposition made little sense to me.
Here is what I think was the root cause of it. There is always built-in
opposition by some executives to innovation. That is human nature, not a
conspiracy. That is why DEC and Data General went out of business; why IBM
almost went out of business in the late 1980s; and why General Motors went
bankrupt in 2009.

> You're welcome to view my copy of WKtEC and the sequel.

It is ancient history by now. I read about the movie, and I read articles
and books about it. No doubt there is some truth to it, but as I said, I
think the main source of opposition was the same one that drove DEC out of
business. This:

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home." - Ken
Olsen, founder of Digital Equipment Corporation, 1977

What a stupid thing to say! In 1977 *I wanted* a computer in my home, and
so did a million other people like me. He should have known that. He should
have known the reasons why, then and later as the market evolved. It was
plain as day. As clear as the market appeal of the Model T Ford in 1908.

The appeal of cold fusion will be equally clear. I expect some people will
fail to see it. There are none so blind as those who will not see.