Adrian,

I read your paper. It's very good. For a six page WORD doc it manages to cast
significant light on the socio-economic complexities our society is in the
process of inheriting such as advancing robotics, AI, and automation. The Vort
Collective has been debating many of these issues for years.

I retired last December. In a sense, I have now graduated to the status of a
person who enjoys UBI via through the economic mechanisms of retirement
annuities and social security. I'm a reasonably lucky citizen of the United
States. I have acquired modest UBI allowing our household to pay the bills,
feed our two cats and keep them entertained, and perhaps even take a budget
vacation every other year. It distresses me that too many in our society aren't
as lucky as our household has been. Being "lucky" should NOT be a major factor
in how one hopes to live the remaining years of their lives with some dignity.

With advanced automation, robotics and AI, it seems reasonable for me to
predict that the retirement age will come earlier and earlier. Eventually we
will stop calling it "retirement" when we start "retiring" in our mid 30s.
Perhaps we will call it: "Reaching the Age of Maturity".  Before reaching
"maturity" society may require us to choose from a selection of mandatory
services we must perform in service to society. We may be required to do this
service for perhaps up to 10 - 15 years, like joining the peace core, or
building essential infrastructure like roads & bridges. This is to assure that
essential infrastructure remains intact. Of course, during your years of
mandatory service, you will be given UBI. However, in order to share in the
collective wealth of the nation for the rest of your remaining years you must
first give unto it according to your experience, unique skill sets and
education.

After one reaches "the age of Maturity" you are given permanent UBI status for
the remaining years of your life. It is up to you to make the best of the rest
of your remaining years. I remain optimistic that most will attempt to do just
that. Start up a unique and eccentric business. Become a popular well
sought-out artist or musician within your local community. Perform theoretical
research in some obscure subject that eventually becomes a key component that
helps explain how to fold space and make space travel between stars
economically possible. RAISE A CHILD FROM INFANCY TO ADULTHOOD. If you don't
think that isn't a full-time job! I think most of us will have a strong desire
to leave our planet in a better place before we finally head for the recycling
bin ourselves.

Regards,

Steven Vincent Johnson

OrionWorks.com