I recall that the notion of a basic guaranteed income actually came up during
the Nixon administration.  They kicked around the idea of getting rid of the
whole welfare establishment and just hand out cash instead.  Reagan also
observed the huge expense of welfare as opposed to the actual benefits getting
to the recipients.

I don't know how such an arrangement comes into being while we suffer under the
opposite condition of most wealth being tightly centralized.  How does this
change without violence or revolution against the oligarchs? We're gonna need a
miracle.