I don’t see how society can tolerate the inherent power of extreme wealth even
if all other problems of income inequality can be explained away.

If campaign contributions were controlled or eliminated,  there could still be
outright bribery.  As with elite bankers, what do laws matter if there is no
enforcement?
The way it’s handled now is thru fees for speaking engagements or easy director
jobs at compliant corporations. On the negative side, they can use the NSA to
control politicians thru surveillance.   This is why I immediately believed
accounts in England about the elite there being involved in pedophilia and
murder. It’s the same control mechanism as the Mafia – “making your bones”.