Jed,

I hope you can get the county to respond to your latest measurement. In
regarding to city matters, I think you are likely to get a better ending than
what our household is currently dealing with.

We have a new neighbor who is threatening to call the city police or animal
control to get one of our two cats, an outdoor cat, Charm, incarcerated and us
fined if he ever finds our cat on his 2nd floor balcony again in the future.
Charm is a rescue we picked up at an Idaho rest stop about 3 years ago. She is
very adventurous. We learned long ago we couldn't keep Charm incarcerated in
our home all day. She needed outdoor time or else there was hell to pay. This
neighbor moved into our neighborhood a year ago. Ironically, the previous home
owner, he purchased the house from, who is now deceased, liked Charm's
visitations to his 2nd floor balcony. IOW, our cat, Charm, felt accepted at
that house. But now, a new cat-unfriendly neighbor has moved in and apparently
he really hates cats. He believes all cats are "destructive predators" - bird
murderers. We want to respect our new neighbor's desire that our cat no longer
visit his house. But that is difficult to accomplish when the new neighbor does
not want to accept from us articles like cat repellants (free of charge) that
would give our cat incentive not to visit his property and 2nd floor balcony
anymore. Apparently, our new neighbor would prefer to wait for our cat to once
again visit his balcony so that he can call animal control and get Charm
incarcerated and us fined.

Complicating matters, there are city ordinances that tell us that all outdoor
dogs and cats must be on leashes no longer than 6 feet. BTW, this leash law is
routinely ignored as most dog owners have leashes that extend out to 10 - 15
feet. I noticed the city ordinances cited the word "dog" 25 times and the word
"cat" 6 times. It's more than at 4 to 1 ratio of dog issues versus cat issues.
While well-meaning I think cats got incorporated into the city ordinance leash
law as a form of collateral damage. In any case this neighbor has the law on
his side. Technically he can get us fined if Charm shows up again. At present
there are several neighbors with outdoor cats that have now become concerned
about whether this person might go after their outdoor cat as well.

I've asked my neighborhood alder as well as the president of our neighborhood
association for insight on the matter. I asked if either one knew of an
organization that specializes in conflict resolution to help diffuse
neighborhood issues like this. While both were polite in their responses to me,
but it's pretty clear that neither one wanted to have anything to do with our
outdoor cat situation. Since our cat being outdoors unleashed is technically
breaking city ordinances, we are breaking the law. In the eyes of the city
ordinance we are the bad guys.

>From my point of view, our household may end up being abused by the
>enforcement of a city ordinance that nobody had really given a damn about
>until a passive-aggressive neighbor with ideological bent decided to press the
>issue by getting the city to do his bullying for him. What a deal for him.

At present, we are not sure how this is all going to go down. There are many
options we are considering. Some options are exceedingly expensive like putting
up a cat proof perimeter around our property. I detest the idea, and not just
because it would be expensive. It would make our house and surrounding property
look like a mini-state penitentiary. If we are forced to do this it would be as
if this neighbor had successfully enacted a city ordinance primarily to get his
own ideological needs met, an ordinance that nobody in the past had had given a
damn about. All this just to imprison out cat and get us fined. It would be as
if he had symbolically imprisoned us as well. After he deals with us what other
cat household might be on the chopping block next? That's another reason I
don't want to do this. There comes a point where you have to take a stand. The
city ordinance against cats is ill advised. There are far better ways of
dealing with such matters other than ignoring sincere assistance from willing
neighbors in preference to calling animal control and extracting expensive
fines.

Regards,

Steven Vincent Johnson

OrionWorks.com