>From Jed:

>>    Volkswagen will be required to implement corrective action at no cost to
>> the owner.

>> Whenever I read or hear the words "...at no cost to the owner." Yeah, right.

> Why do you find that unbelievable? The fix will be at no cost to present

> owners. The cost will be borne by Volkswagen stockholders and by people

> who buy new cars from Volkswagen later. These cars will be a little more

> expensive than they would have been, to make up for the losses.

Poor wording on my part. My sarcasm was meant to imply that, as you pointed
out, future VW customers and stockholders will bare the brunt of mistakes made
from past avoidances. I hope you are right that the additional cost will be
just a little more expensive than what future autos would have cost otherwise.
The impression I have been getting from the news is that this is a really big
deal. Whether it is an accurate assumption for me to make or not, I tend to
interpret a big deal in financial terms. Truth of the matter is that I don't
know how expensive or costly this matter is going to end up being for VW.
Hopefully, you are correct. I like the German company. I've owned several bugs
myself in my earlier years. I'd hate to see VW suffer irreparable financial
hardship. Over the decades I think they have done a decent job manufacturing
high quality transportation for the common man.

> In related news, the EPA announced it is changing its test method to

> ensue this will not happen again.

Good!

Regards,

Steven Vincent Johnson