Jones,

Once again you slapped your glove on Hotson's face.  Your comment, "No one
needs to be convinced that matter and antimatter can be made to annihilate"
is just such a slap.  Regarding electrons and positrons in particular,
Hotson rightly points out that these two particles are fermions.  As
fermions, they are forbidden to be in the same place at the same time, and
so cannot annihilate. Instead of annihilation, they fall into orbit around
each other.  When (if) they reach a DDL orbit, the become a part of Dirac's
negative energy sea.

If supposed quark and anti-quark pairs could annihilate, we should be
seeing the effects of that in the half life of the proton, reputed to
contain quark-anti-quark pairs.  Quarks are also believed to be fermions.
Of course, Hotson says that the sub-nucleon constituents are
electron-positron epos.