From: Eric Walker <eric.wal...@gmail.com>
To: vortex-l <vortex-l@eskimo.com>
Sent: Mon, Nov 30, 2015 4:03 pm
Subject: Re: [Vo]: How many atoms to make condensed matter?

On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 2:41 PM,  <mix...@bigpond.com> wrote:

No, I'm saying it does both. When the alpha particle is far away it enhances it,

but when it get close to a target nucleus it works against it. I'm not sure what
the net result would be.

If the volume of the surplus negative charge is spherical about the
positively-charged nucleus, the shell theorem implies that one can neglect any
negative charge that lies on the far side of the alpha particle from the
nucleus.  (It is probably not spherical, whatever it is, unless that s-orbital
thing is what's going on.)

Also, I'm going to guess that we have to be careful not to treat the negative
and positive charge separately; i.e., what is seen by the alpha particle is the
result of their overlap.  So in this understanding, if the field of the nucleus
is overwhelmingly positive, the negative charge is experienced by the alpha
particle to be a little less positive charge.

Eric