Clearly psychology of groups, epistemology, sociology, ethnology of
science, will consider Cold Fusion fiasco as a key event in history, like
the story of germs, og geocentrisms, of Malthusianism, of creationism, and
of some current stories (maybe correlated).

If you (re-)read the book "Excess Heat" by Charles Beaudette, you will
clearly see that logic, epistemology, psychology, are key competence to
unlock the truth there.
The importance of Baltimore, the reputation trap, the anti-Popperian love
of theory, the tribe battles, the hierarchy in sciences (Nuclear
Physics>Theretical Physics> Material
physics>chemistry>electrchemistry>biochemistry>biology, low compexity->>
high complexity), are phenomenon to consider in a human science perspective.

I always cite Roland Benabou because his theory of Groupthink explains the
"trap" in the "reputation trap", and because it explains the increase of
violence when evidence grows against the consensus.

The notion of Black Swan is interesting but hid the concept of "Pink
Flamingo" more appropriate to Cold Fusion...
when something is seen since long (not a black swan) but not considered
(not white swan) because of huge cognitive opposition and associate
prejudices.

Then I remember the work of Kuhn which explained that it happens all the
time and that history is rewritten by the losers who say the mainstream
science did the job perfectly, despite the annoyance of few irresponsible
maverick.

So it is hopeless...