Dave,
I am not sure what you say is entirely true.  The 10V source can provide
direct heating to a certain temperature, and can create a plasma from
electron impact.  A plasma is comprised of ionized gas.  However, the ions
don't need to be bare nuclei, and typically are not for anything but a
hydrogen plasma.  Normally 1 or 2 electrons are lost from the ions, in this
case, Ag in vapor phase.  The 10V can produce electron ionization up to
about 10eV energy.  This would correspond to a deep UV photon of 124nm
(produced during restoration of the electron), which can reach fairly deep
into the shells of the Ag atoms.

However, the spectrum Mills showed contained soft x-ray, probably in the
100eV range (I could not read the axis of the graph he showed).  Even this
probably does not represent ionization (and re-combination) of the inner
shells of the Ag electron orbitals.  But, achieving 100eV soft x-ray
ionization with 10eV needs some explanation.  Mills would say it came from
catalyzed shrinkage of the hydrogen orbital to a fractional quantum state.
The question is, could it have come from an alternative mechanism?  For
example, in the very strong magnetic field, could multiple 10eV electrons
contribute to an 100eV ionization?  What else could be responsible?

I have a comment regarding the source voltage and the spectrum generated by