It appears from the Steorn video description pointed to by Jones below that
the the "power packs" behave as an unusual capacitor.  The device appears
to have separate charge and discharge modes.  In charge mode the
capacitor-like "power-packs" are "charged" from a high voltage source (2x9V
battery with series 1Mohm resistor).  While charging, the capacitance
appears to be very low, call it Cc, and it doesn't take much Coulombic
charge (not many electrons) to reach a voltage of, say 5V.  Then the
capacitor-like "power pack" is switched to a load.  In discharge, the
capacitance, Cd, appears to be much higher than Cc, allowing more Coulombic
charge (more electrons) to be taken out before the device reaches its
minimum discharge voltage.  This is a quite unusual [classically impossible
over-unity] device, which still may be related to an electret.  It appears
that the capacitor-like "power pack" elements are of "jelly roll"
construction due to their cylindrical form factor.

If the "power pack" devices truly work in this fashion, I can easily see
how over-unity energy is delivered.