This is a revival of an earlier thread.
From: Russ George

*       What about a secondary muon target re-emitter… what would the ideal
target and emission be?

According to the literature, muons are absorbed in rough linear proportion to
the atomic number of the target…. Since Uranium (92) would be among the best
targets, and since the secondary reactions would also be useful (and would
likely emit secondary muons) there could be the makings of a new type of
reactor…

Fast forward a few days. That suggestion about muon-boosted fission may not be
pure fancy, after all. As fate would have it, an old paper on “Prompt
Muon-Induced Fission” appeared magically in my browser… prolly courtesy of the
Illuminati. Note: this is very different from muon catalyzed fusion.

It turns out that on absorption in actinides - muonic excitation energy is
transferred to the nucleus. In U, the muon transitions result in excitation of
the nuclear giant dipole and giant quadrupole resonances which act as doorway
states for fission. Because the muon lifetime is long compared to the timescale
of prompt fission, there could be an opportunity for a strange hybrid reactor
which could be small and subcritical.

A small reactor which is surrounded by many Holmlid type laser irradiation
cells to produce muons which are directed into the reactor for prompt fission -
would be the idea. The reactor could be designed to use natural U or thorium or
a mix and reach criticality when fed a certain level of muons. Neutrons could
be rendered secondary or even superfluous. Holmlid is claiming to see an
impressive number of muons from a small laser – something like 10^9/sec.

Fission also produces muons, so instead of a chain reaction of neutrons, as in
typical fission reactors - we could be talking about a chain reaction of muons
(with help from neutrons). It would be interesting to know the conversion rate
from muons to prompt fission. I suspect that it is low … or someone would have
thought of this before now.