I don't know if other Vorts thought of this already... but I had a minor
epiphany regarding the radiation that MFMP measured in GS5.2.  We
identified this radiation tentatively as bremsstrahlung.  This has certain
implications.  Bremsstrahlung requires that the high speed electrons impact
on a high atomic mass element so as to be accelerated/decelerated quickly
to produce the radiation.  It could be that the stainless steel can that
contained the fuel was an important component in seeing the
bremsstrahlung.  Without the can, there would still be the Ni for the
electrons to hit, but the Ni is covered with light atomic mass Li.  If the
electrons were to strike alumina (no fuel can present), I don't think there
would be nearly as much bremsstrahlung because alumina is comprised of
light elements.

Thus, the stainless steel can for the fuel may be an important component
for seeing the bremsstrahlung.

Bob Higgins