On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 9:24 PM, Bob Cook <frobertc...@hotmail.com> wrote:

If a pulsed magnetic field is involved in the EM drive it may be that
> effective momentum is sent off into space as a pulsed magnetic field with
> some effective mass associated with the average intensity of the magnetic
> field pulse—energy associated with the pulse.

This is along the lines that I was thinking.

Consider a simple thought experiment. We have a microwave waveguide with
the output focused in a single direction sitting out in the middle of space
where there is little in the way of an external field.  Attached to it is a
battery sufficient to drive a magnetron at 10 W for some period of time.
We turn on the magnetron remotely.  Microwave photons with a total power
amounting to 10 J per second are now being emitted in a preferred
direction.  For the sake of argument we will go with the well-accepted
assumption that photons have no mass.  Nonetheless they have momentum, and
in order for the system to conserve momentum it will move in a direction
opposite the majority of the photons.

We have yet not specified what the system is pushing off of, but I don't
think we need to in order for the thought experiment to work.

Eric