@Eric,  Yes, a number of calibrations have been done.  One of the
precautions being taken is putting a sensitive GM detector separated from
the reactor.  This separate sensor should be sensitive to a shower, but
have reduced sensitivity (1/r^2) from the reactor.  The cadre of sensors
around the reactor also reduce the likelihood that any event could come
from a hot radon progeny or Fukishima flea.  The spectra integrations will
be shorter, allowing much better time resolution of any signals.  Also, I
think there will be an attempt to capture the ROI (Region Of Interest)
outputs from the detectors to provide a measure of flux vs. time for the
NaI spectrometer and the x-ray spectrometer.  GS5.3 takes a big step in
improved radiation monitoring.  Before GS5.2, no one had seen much and so
extraordinary measures seemed futile.  Now that we know that there is good
science available from measured radiation, we are ramping up our detection
capability.

@Dave,  If the radiation signature is real, based on what was seen before,
the spectral energy is down to 10% at 100 keV.  This is easily block-able
by lead.  Since the x-spectrum was not measured, it could be that 99+% of
the total energy is below 100 keV.  The small amount that would leak out of
a shield, while comprised of high energy photons, is of very low total
flux.  Just because those are higher energy, doesn't really make them more
dangerous than the x-rays.  Think about the x-ray leakage from the old CRTs
we sat in front of, and what about the gamma leakage from the 241Am smoke
detectors.  The benefits outweighed the tiny risk associated with the small
exposure that was less than most people are exposed to via radon,
Fukishima, and cosmic rays (living at 9000' elevation, I get my dose from
cosmic rays and those are really high energy).