Hi Jones,

What you describe is certainly an interesting and scary proposition - that
protons could be sheared or broken apart.  However, it is hard to imagine a
number of thing in this hypothesis and that of Olafssen/Holmlid.  First of
all, where did the potential energy come from to put two hydrogen nuclei in
2.3pm proximity?  If they are able to release this potential suddenly, then
it had to have been established in the first place.  Second, SPP is an
electron resonance at a metal/dielectric interface, but the electrons
themselves are in the metal (AFIK).  How would these electrons that are in
the metal (resonant in SPP or not) be complicit in a UDD/UDH breakup?
Thirdly, why would UDD/UDH be stable?

Thanks for posting the link to the Olafsson presentation.  I captured it in
.PDF to be able to access offline.