Incentives and net metering were great... I say were.  They are now largely
a thing of the past.  When I lived in S. FL, I installed a grid-tie system
(5.4 kW rated) and was able to net 0 kWH for about 6 months out of the year
(3500 sq ft home with two high efficiency A/C units).  I got incentives
totaling about $22.5k.  However, I was the first in my town to have rooftop
solar power (I also had direct rooftop solar hot water).  The incentives
were meant to start up solar power businesses in the state.  Because more
people are installing rooftop solar with the glut in panels and price so
low per watt, the power companies are feeling the pinch.  First to go is
net metering.  Next is surcharge to have solar on your roof.