This is a nice video and definitely worth watching.

You asked about interlocking gears in 4D.  One of the gear mechanisms that
operates in 2D that seems to use time as well is the Geneva mechanism.  It
may be possible that the Geneva mechanism could be expanded to 3 coupled
"gears" while existing in 2D because it uses time.