There is apparently a "light-self-induced pyroelectric effect" which can
partially explain what is going on in the UltraSolar device, assuming it is
really  more than ghostware.

The Nature article below is about UV sensors instead of solar cells, but
there could be a common denominator which explains why a pyroelectric effect
works in this situation.

http://www.nature.com/ncomms/2015/150925/ncomms9401/abs/ncomms9401.html
Most conventional solar cells use the visible and infrared light spectrum to
generate electricity and miss some of the more energetic UV photons. This
may or may not be related to dark current but of course UV is "blacklight"
and it is probably not a coincidence that UV specific photocells have little
or no dark current.

Anyway - the common sense approach to provide good evidence of whether or
not UltraSolar really has something is this. Apple Computer has built a new
campus within walking distance of the UltraSolar headquarters.

The so-called "Spaceship campus" in Cupertino includes a roof made almost
entirely out of solar cells - which is at least a 5MW installation. If all
Apple needs to do is buy the booster box to get another megawatt it is
almost a certainty that they would do this, as cost is no impediment.

Yet I can find no indication that they have bought into this technology. It
would be the best PR in the world for UltraSolar if they did supply Apple --
and the lack of this partnership is very "telling" shall we say.