Los Alamos National Laboratory patented a lightweight containment system using Kevlar. While the Patent was in force, our firm had rights for use with our polymers. Now that their Patent has expired we still expect to use that lightweight system of containment for UMES electron flywheels.

Carbon fiber may prove to be an even better alternative and we are watching wire development progress with that extremely light material many times stronger than steel.

Mark

From: Bob Fickle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
Subject: Re: Room Temperature Superconductors and EVs
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 21:50:05 -0600

Much as I'd like to have some ultraconductor wire to play with, I'm not convinced that Ultrqaconducting Magnetic Energy Storage will replace batteries. Magnetic fields create a pressure equal to the energy density- and therefore require a strong (read "heavy" and "expensive") mechanical container.

Mark Goldes wrote:

Harry,

They can be made, but not yet in wire form.

Thin films containing Ultraconductors 1 or 2 microns in diameter (1/50th the diameter of a human hair) can always carry 50 Amperes. The Ultraconductors run through the film in the thin direction, (i.e. normal to the film).

Wire is 3 years and $18 million in front of us.

Once available as wire, electron flywheels can begin to replace batteries. Ultraconducting Magnetic Energy Storage systems are expected to prove practical.

Electric motors made with Ultraconducting wire can be much smaller and lighter, and may require no iron. Alll plastic motors may therefore prove practical. Superconducting motors require no iron. We suspect the same will be true of Ultraconductors.

Mark