Hi,
[snip]
>Here is the cite for the original Hagelstein paper, ~ 24 years old:
>
>http://www.newenergytimes.com/v2/library/1993/1993Hagelstein-Neutron-Transfer-Reactions-ICCF4.pdf
>
>There are different versions of neutron "hopping" these days, but in the
>context of magnetic tunneling using NMR - as the medium to transfer
>neutrons, and the most favorable reaction:
>
>25Mg + 25Mg => 26Mg + 24Mg + 3.763 MeV
>
>The idea is not to use hydrogen or deuterium at all, but to apply the
>known NMR resonance to the metal, which is conductive so it can be
>applied direct from a circuit. For instance, imagine a magnetic solenoid
>in which a thin tube of magnesium isotope is held at cryogenic
>temperatures  which is oscillated at the NMR resonance, which would be
>about 6 MHz for a magnetic field strength of 2.3 Tesla.
>
>One application would be as a thruster for aerospace. Hot ions are
>ejected from both ends of the tube when it is resonant along the axis of
>the solenoid. One vector can provide thrust and the other converts the
>ions to electricity to provide the resonance and cooling.

Since about 10% of natural Mg is 25Mg, if the Mg atom exists in an octahedral
lattice with 6 nearest neighbors, then for any given 25Mg atom, there is a 90%
chance that any given nearest neighbor will not be 25Mg. The chance that all 6
will not be 25Mg is 0.9^6 = 53%. Thus the chances that at least one of the
nearest neighbors will be another 25Mg is about 47%. That means that if the
neutron hopping process works, it should be able to convert about half the 25Mg
in natural magnesium without any isotope enrichment being used. That means that
if you want to experiment with the process, you can just use ordinary Magnesium.
Not an ideal solution in the long run, but if definitely makes experimenting to
determine feasibility easier. Even if my math is wrong, it won't be so far off
as to make the use of ordinary Magnesium impossible for experimentation.

Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk