This is starting to sound more and more like a combination of magnetic
amplifier and magnet.  These would be combined in such a way as to have a
small magnetic field from a control coil switch a large magnetic flux from
one location in the billet to another location on the billet.  The control
winding is driven to switch the flux back and forth at a high rate.  The
switched flux is picked up in one or more coils and rectified to provide a
DC output.  The output energy needs to be more than the energy used in the
control circuit.  The key to this is to understand the operation of the
magnetic amplifiers and figure out how to design a magnetic amplifier that
can switch the flux of a permanent magnet.