Regarding the Nb-Ir thermocouples ... Bob, can you suggest a source for
these thermocouples and their voltage calibration data?  For my
experiments, the cost of the hardware is coming out of my own pocket - not
someone else's deep pocket.  For k-type thermocouples, the
voltage-temperature profile is built into my DAQ.  For the Nb-Ir, I
suspect, I will have to read the voltage and convert it to temperature with
a custom LUT in Labview.  All doable if the voltage is not too low to be
noisy and if the couples are not too expensive.