I have been musing about spin and Leonard Susskinds lectures and books have got me thinking in a slightly different way: There is very much LENR related, but I will start with a 'simple' question In the Stern Gerlach experiment the act of 'measuring' the spin of the particle has an effect on the spin, in that the information about the spin in the non-measured axis has been destroyed. In what sense has the state of the particles spin been changed and what mediates the change. Can it be thought of as in terms of a virtual photon exchange?. I assume that overall there must be conservation of spin, so in what sense has the spin state of the rest of the system been changed?
Nigel