I am not sure why there being no advantage for deuterium means that this was not cold fusion. If there was a fusion process in these situations that started with protons then would this also not be cold fusion? Given that we are in a territory that is far removed from the standard plasma conditions where the orthodox rules for fusion were forged, I think we cannot rule out the possibility that there could be proton based fusion options.

Nigel