In fact I have unilaterally removed the offending gamma from the Wikipedia page. I dont expect it to return.  The only gamma rays that it continues correctly to mention are those associated with the annihilation of the positron with an electron.

The Mark Davidson paper is very good.  I will have to get my son to go over the variable mass hypothesis as it is very much in his territory.   Indeed he has some ideas and a paper that he is working on that may be very relevant.  The roundup of nuclear anomalies is very good.  I was reassured that there were no surprises in the list.

I agree that proton-proton fusion would appear to be low probability.  However there are still some situations, all of which are included in the list where I think it would be premature to rule this out at this stage.  I spent some time looking at thunder storm related anomalies, which are a lot more complex and 'poorly understood' than the one paragraph in the paper would suggest and still think that proton-proton fusion might be part of the story.

Bringing the two together, given that the Davidson paper also includes radioactive decay variation (ie weak force effects) in the list of anomalies, then perhaps he should have included neutrinos and their mass in his thinking.  This could then be of relevance if there does turn out to be some proton-proton fusion scenarios,  which is why I came to be looking at the Wikipedia page in the first place

Nigel