Energy From Fusion In Two Years, CEO Says, Commercialization In Five
 Jeff McMahon

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffmcmahon/2019/01/14/private-firm-will-bring-fusion-reactor-to-market-within-five-years-ceo-says/#4b64b0591d4a

Jeff McMahon
Contributor
Green Tech
>From Chicago, I write about green technology, energy, environment.

TAE Technologies will bring a fusion-reactor technology to
commercialization in the next five years, its CEO announced recently
at the University of California, Irvine.

"The notion that you hear fusion is another 20 years away, 30 years
away, 50 years away—it's not true," said Michl Binderbauer, CEO of
the company formerly known as Tri Alpha Energy. "We're talking
commercialization coming in the next five years for this technology."

That trajectory is considerably sooner than Binderbauer described when
he took over as CEO in 2017. It would put TAE ahead of two formidable
competitors. The 35-nation ITER project expects to complete its
demonstration reactor in France in 2025. Vancouver-based General
Fusion Inc. is devoting the next five years, with support from the
Canadian government, to developing a prototype of its fusion reactor.
And the Massachusetts Institute of Technology announced last March
that it expects to bring its fusion reactor to market in ten years.

For more than 20 years TAE has been pursuing a reactor that would fuse
hydrogen and boron at extremely high temperatures, releasing excess
energy much as the sun does when it fuses hydrogen atoms. Lately the
California company has been testing the heat capacity of its process
in a machine it named Norman after the late UC Irvine physicist Norman
Rostoker.

Its next device, dubbed Copernicus, is designed to demonstrate an
energy gain. It will involve deuterium-tritium fusion, the aim of most
competitors, but a milestone on TAE's path to a hotter, but safer,
hydrogen-boron reaction.

Binderbauer expects to pass the D-T fusion milestone within two years.

"What we're really going to see in the next couple years is actually
the ability to actually make net energy, and that's going to happen in
the machine we call Copernicus," he said in a "fireside chat" at UC
Irvine, appearing alongside actor Harry Hamlin (of "Clash of the
Titans" and "LA Law"), who was an early supporter and a co-founder of
the company.

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen is another prominent supporter, and
Alphabet/Google a shareholder.

TAE has been funded so far by more than $500 million in private equity.

"An endeavor as monumental as this requires an upfront commitment of
very substantial proportions, which runs counter to the way most R&D
money is parceled out," according to the company's website. "With TAE
operating as a private company, we have been able to research,
experiment and iterate more rapidly than our competition."

But TAE is ready now to talk to the government.

"We're in the process of funding and putting that project together
right now," Binderbauer said of Copernicus. "We're working actually
for the first time with the DOE, in some form of a relationship where
they're gonna contribute some in-kind, and this will be a sort of
public-private partnership to pull that off, and then it goes to
commercialization."

Watch Brinderbaur and Hamlin at UC Irvine:

I've covered the energy and environment beat since 1985, when I
discovered my college was discarding radioactive waste in a dumpster.
That story ran in the Arizona Republic, and I have chased electrons
and pollutants ever since, for dailies in Arizona and California, for
al... MORE
By Jeff McMahon, based in Chicago. Follow Jeff McMahon on Facebook,
Google Plus, Twitter, or email him here.