Bob,

ORNL is supplying this isotope to others. They are not making it for their own
use AFAIK.
In fact they are somewhat obligated as a government lab to support private
industry in this way. Prior to this, they were actually reselling Russian
isotopes at a very high price which benefited the Russian economy. Their
Isotope sales division has an online store.

According to Ed Storms, the reaction Ni62 + p = Cu63 produces 5.6 MeV/event of
nuclear energy - and on paper it is clean. There must, in fact, be little
residual radiation if the results are to be believed. This set of realities and
other considerations has convinced Ed that Rossi could be for real, despite his
obvious dishonesty in other areas.

For 1 kW of nuclear power to be generated, this particular reaction must occur
about 10e15 times/sec. If the reaction were not clean there would be severe
toxicity and in fact multiple fatalities (dead grad students). Everything fits
together except the numerous failings of the actual Lugano experiment. (and the
later complete rejection of Rossi by IH ... when if the results were true, they
could all be billionaires)

BTW  - the % enrichment which we find in nature of isotope Ni62 is surprisingly
low. It should be higher given its nuclear stability.

Also, perhaps the level of enrichment must be high for reliable operation of a
reactor - thus the reaction works best with at least a seed of highly enriched
isotope.
The only problem with this assessment is that IH should have seen the good
results and apparently, they did not. They are the only major investor to put
their money where their intentions were - and then they backed away. That is
damning.

Jones

bobcook39...@hotmail.com <bobcook39...@hotmail.com> wrote:
I  doubt that ORNL would start up production of Ni-62 without good reason and
based on any questionable patents.

Transmutation of Ni to Cu makes no sense to me for any practical purpose.  Cu
is cheaper than Ni-62.

Not only would the fuel have to be doped with Ni-62, the other Ni isotopes
measured in the Lagano fuel would have to be sprinkled in (salted) to get the
unusual ratios of isotopes observed or eliminated from the orginal fuel load.
That would not be easy.

Focardi would have to have been blowing smoke or was fooled earlier by the same
sort of salting you suggest.

I do not consider either Focordi nor the Swedes were duped.

Bob Cook