From: Robin<mailto:mixent...@aussiebroadband.com.au>
Sent: Wednesday, August 5, 2020 12:42 PM
To: vortex-l@eskimo.com<mailto:vortex-l@eskimo.com>
Subject: Re: [Vo]:[EE] Wireless power transmission

Hi,
[snip]
>I read this article. Don't you find it more than a little annoying that Mr.
>Tesla is nowhere mentioned?

There's a good reason for that. The two technologies have nothing in common.
Tesla used the Earth as a capacitor so that
everyone was "in" the capacitor, and attached to one of the plates. This
company is using conventional wireless, but in
a tight beam.

>This is important. No doubt everyone other than auto mechanics and people who
>like the hear the vroom-vroom would like to switch to electric cars. The
>problem is there doesn't seem to be enough copper wire to carry all the
>current required to charge all the batteries in all the electric cars.  Last
>time I did some rough figuring, it seemed as if the maximum number of electric
>cars would be about 10% of all vehicles before the power grid was over taxed.
>Look at what happens when there are brown-outs on hot days. Those air
>conditioners don't draw anywhere near the current required to charge a 100%
>electric car fleet.

I doubt mobile applications of this technology would be possible, if there were
that many targets that had to be
followed with a tight beam. Besides, the beam is dangerous. Worse than sitting
in a microwave oven. That's why they talk
about remote areas, and a laser curtain to detect intrusion into the beam.
It wouldn't be suitable for use within an urban environment. It could however
be used to transport power from a remote
power plant to the top of a tall construction on the outskirts of a city,
although it would be difficult to keep light
aircraft from crossing the beam I should imagine.
[snip]