Naked singularities are not related to gravitational black holes. These
micro black holes are a consequence of tachyon condensation. Ashoke Sen
took the fear out of tachyons for physicists when he characterized tachyon
condensation. In the late 1990s, Ashoke Sen conjectured that the tachyons
carried by open strings attached to D-branes in string theory reflect the
instability of the D-branes with respect to their complete annihilation.
The total energy carried by these tachyons has been calculated in string
field theory; it agrees with the total energy of the D-branes, and all
other tests have confirmed Sen's conjecture as well. Tachyons therefore
became an active area of interest in the early 2000s. OK, so open-string
tachyons and closed-string tachyons in twisted sectors are more or less
understood by now. Physicists no longer panic or abandon the theory when
they see a tachyon. Instead, they calmly interpret these tachyons as
sources of instabilities – instability that annihilate objects or whole
chunks of spacetime and that may (but don't necessarily have to) lead to a
new stable world with some interesting objects that may be left over. For
this reason, it was Ashoke Sen and his apprentices such as Edward Witten
who unified nothingness and somethingness in physics – i.e. in string
theory (because no other theory can achieve similar unifications) – and who
discovered new perspectives on the somethingness in between and that's my
explanation why both Sen and Witten deserves their $3 million Breakthrough
prizes. I am interested in relating the abstractions of string theory to
real world engineering applications. I want to know the ways and means of
how these naked singularities annihilate objects or whole chunks of
spacetime and that may lead to new stable conditions with some interesting
transformed objects that may be left over.