Hi,
[snip]
>Maybe CMB should not be observable in 3 space at all.

I would agree if it were what they think it is.

>IOW - it can be argued that the cosmic background is itself poorly understood
>and not the best feature with which to base important derivative theories on
>(like the big bang)...

Indeed. IMO the CMB is simply "tired" star light. IOW every interaction of heat
and light with matter results in a
degradation of the energy, until there is only microwave energy left over. IOW,
the CMB is really just the "temperature"
of the universe.
Red shift is caused by Compton shifting during grazing interactions with
charged particles. The greater the distance,
the more intervening charged particles there are, and the greater the red shift.
The charged particles comprise the neutral plasma ejected by stars in the form
of stellar wind, that has cooled down in
the depths of space.
This plasma is mostly transparent, because there is little net
absorption/radiation. Much as glass is transparent.
Given enough time it will condense into gas, but the process is slow because
the cloud is charge neutral overall, so any
individual particle within it experiences almost no net force from the
remainder of the cloud, and hence is barely
motivated to move in any given direction, resulting in a low likelihood of
encountering an oppositely charged particle
to form an atom. In that sense, the whole plasma cloud is somewhat like a
gigantic very tenuous crystal.
[snip]
Regards,

R. van Spaandonk

Crops, not towns, should be planted on floodplains.
Even the ancient Egyptians knew this.