Hi,

1) This is an interesting idea.
2) Light bounces off particles anyway, regardless of whether or not people
believe this causes the red shift. Images
*are* blurry to some extent, however, if most of the scattering occurs soon
after the light is emitted, then from a
great distance the source will appear to be a point source anyway.
3) Most of the scattering does happen locally, because there is a gradient in
the density of particles. Greatest near
stars, and decreasing into intergalactic space.

>When a wave pulse encounters a change in the density of a medium some of
>the energy of the pulse is transmitted and some of it is reflected.
>
>Suppose it is possible for a wave pulse to partially self-reflect by
>inducing a local change in the density of the medium as it travels through
>it.
>If this is possible then the difference between the cosmic microwave
>background (CMB) and the Hubble redshift would literally be a function of
>perspective.
>
>The CMB would be the reflected energy from our own local emanations, and
>the Hubble red shifted light from a distant galaxy would represent the
>energy lost as it is reflected back to the originating galaxy on its
>journey to us.
>
>This would mean the CMB is not an echo of the entire universe as it was in
>the past according to the expanding universe hypothesis. Rather the CMB
>contains a historical sequence of echoes from _our part_ of the universe.
>
>(I know the theory of special relativity says there is no need for light to
>have a medium or an aether, but then again no one has looked for
>reflections from an aether. Also reflections from the aether would not
>result in blurry images as is the case when the Hubble redshift is
>explained as light scattering off particles)
>
>Harry
Regards,

R. van Spaandonk

Crops, not towns, should be planted on floodplains.
Even the ancient Egyptians knew this.