Hi Steven,

I cannot follow it at that level, sorry. But I wonder how much information has been filtered by the article writers- the reporters.

Colin
----- Original Message -----
From: OrionWorks
Sent: Wednesday, September 13, 2006 10:20 PM
Subject: [Vo]:

Hi Colin,

Regarding this newfangled EM Drive, some things don't add up from my point of view. In one article it was theorized by the researchers that the "force" only works at maximum efficiency if the operating EMDrive is stationary, that is, when it isn't moving. They went on to speculate that the force emanating from the EMDrive weakens as velocity accumulates. It was therefore suggested that the EMDrive (if it could be made strong enough while in the stationary position) could only be used as a kind of anti/counter gravity field. Kind of like a hovercraft. It was suggested that would then need to employ a more prosaic, secondary force to propel the vehicle in any direction.

I have a big problem with this kind of logic. It all comes down to what one understands about Einstin's theory of relativity. It's all "relative", as they say. Whose is to say that the stationary DMDRIve object is really stationary. To someone traveling at a constant speed of 2000 mph relative to the EMDrive object, from that person's POV the EM Drive craft is speeding at a constant speed of 2000 mph. Therefore, from the stationary person's perspective the DMDrive should not operate as efficiently as compared to an individual who is actually traveling at the same speed as the DMDrive object. That's what the researchers seem to be implying.

Such logic clearly produces two conflicting POV's, where one individual (moving at the same speed as the object) perceives the force from the DMDrive as greater than the forced as perceived by the other individual (who is stationary). Huston, we have a problem.

Something doesn't add up right here.

The only way I think they could get around this seeming contradiction would be if the alleged weakening of the EMDrive force only becomes noticeable as the object approaches the speed of light, that is, from the perspective of a stationary observer. IOW, the weakening would manifest on the same grand scale as how objects are perceived to flatten (and gain mass) as they approach the speed of light, again as perceived by individuals at a stationary position. However, when one reads the article this doesn't appear to be the case. The article seems to imply that the EMDrive force weakens pretty soon after it speeds up implying that the effects of relativity play virtually no role whatsoever.

This would appear to be a blatant contradiction of logic.

Regards,
Steven Vincent Johnson
www.OrionWorks.com
www.Zazzle.com/orionworks