On 11/27/06, Stephen A. Lawrence <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

An example might be an electric motor which produced more mechanical
energy than the electrical energy it consumed -- to close the loop you
need to convert the mechanical energy back into electrical energy, which
introduces losses which may eat up your OU.  The result would be
something that was in reality an amazing breakthrough, but which still
wouldn't convince Bob Parks.  (Does this describe the Sprain motor?  I
haven't been following that one.)

Indeed it does.  The Sprain Magmo uses a spiral magnetic gradient to
produce torque.  An electromagnet is used to kick the rotor past the
sticky spot.  The energy consumed by the electromagnet is less than
the mechanical energy produced by the gradient.

The problem with self running has been the waveform of the energy
produced by the PM generator.  The voltage from the permanent mag gen
ramps from 13 V to 28 V.  20 V is required to fire the EM.  The min V
is produced after the firing (when the torque is at a minimum).  I
have tried trigger circuits which don't draw from the magmo torque
until the V exceeds 20 V; but, we have had no success since this
eliminates a large part of the energy produced.

The gradient of the field of the present configuration is 0.8 G per
degree.  We have a new magnet which will produce a gradient of 20 G
per degree.  We lack the enthusiasm to pursue a self-runner when you
know that the new mag will ship soon.

Now our limiting factor seems to be the inductance of the EM.  The new
EM weighs 45 lbs but only doubles the inductance.  We will not achieve
the theorized 4500 RPM; but, we will far exceed the current 90 RPM.  I
have no doubts this new mag will let us self-run.

Stay tuned.

Terry