R Stiffler wrote:
> Yes indeed! Imagine no Politics, Greed, Singular Control, Subversion? Why
> not freedom? Is indeed control and management what keeps a populace in
> check. I can't imagine why you want to seek the 'Atheist' they won't admit
> to the truth if presented. At least an 'Agnostic' is willing, similar to a
> scientist and only wants proof......

The God Who May Be: A Hermeneutics of Religion
By Richard Kearney

(Indiana Series in the Philosophy of Religion), Bloomington:
Indiana University Press, 2001; 192 pp.; hb. $ 19.95, pb. $ 49.95;
isbn:0-253-33998-7/0-253-21489-0.

review by Lieven Boeve
Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium

[1] In this volume Richard Kearney takes up the challenge to reþect on God
Œafter the God of metaphysics¹. In the introduction he presents this volume
as a kind of assemblage of thoughts on God, stemming from his doctoral
studies on Ricoeur and the co-editing of Heidegger et la question de Dieu
(with J. O¹Leary, 1981), and more recently his contributions to the
Villanova Conferences on Œreligion and postmodernism¹ (1997, 1999). How is
it possible to Œovercome the old notion of God as disembodied cause, devoid
of dynamism and desire, in favor of a more eschatological notion of God as
possibility to come: the posse which calls us beyond the present toward a
promised future?¹ (3) How is it possible to think God
post-onto-theologically? Kearney¹s intuition, his Œwager¹, is to conceive of
God in terms of a God Œwho may be¹, Œwho is May-Be¹, a Œpossible God¹, a God
Œmore than impossible¹, with as Þrst name, borrowed from Nicolaus Cusanus:
Possest. The God who may be is the God from the kingdom to come, an
eschatological God, a God of promise and of powerlessness, of justice and
peace, who persuades human beings to answer his call to realize the kingdom.
Inspired by and in discussion with many contemporary thinkers from the
so-called continental tradition, Levinas, Derrida, Ricoeur, Marion, Caputo,
Breton, and Greisch among others, Kearney sketches Œthe outlines of a
narrative [onto-]eschatology¹ (8) that favors the possible over the actual,
posse over esse. The methodological approach of this reþection on religion
is of a phenomenological nature, supplemented with a hermeneutical
retrieving of inspiring insights from the main texts of the Western
Judeo-Christian philosophical and intellectual history. This exercise takes
the form of an attempt to resist both classical onto-theology and postmodern
negative theology...

more
http://www.arsdisputandi.org/publish/articles/000187/index.html