Michel Jullian wrote:
a violation of energy conservation? No. Electric potential
energy is decreasing somewhere, I'll let you find where :)
...We want to know, lol!  :-)

Oops I have found in the meantime that my initial explanation was
wrong, so it's just as well I kept it to myself ;-)

Electric potential energy has nothing to do with the matter as I
realized (my apologies for the misleading hint). Still it seemed
obvious to me that _some_ potential energy had to be decreasing,
since it takes work to bring the dipoles back to their non-aligned
initial state. Same reasoning as in the non-rotating case where
magnets are just attracted to each other, similar to a mass falling
off a table as previously mentioned by Stephen. This led me to
Googling "magnetic potential energy", and bingo, there is such a
thing, and it decreases all right when magnetic dipoles align!

Yes, I knew that.  In fact the formula which you quoted below,

  -mu <dot> B

applies to linear potential energy as well, which the authors apparently didn't mention. A dipole in a nonuniform field feels a linear force which is equal to

  gradient(mu <dot> B)

and in any field it feels a torque which is

  mu <cross> B

and these are easily seen to be the negatives of the gradient of the potential and partial of the potential with respect to the dipole angle, respectively.

I actually said this 'way back before the beginning of this discussion, and again part way through...