I'm not so sure that "in situ" slash and char of scrub on a large scale would
be totally beneficial environmentally! - did you ever see a charcoal burner's
mound smoking? That's why the "in vessel" pyrolysers, which have acid gas
scrubbing and NOx removal, are favourite. Algae seemed better because it grows
so d***ed quick and can be used to absorb CO2 both directly from fossil fuel
power plants and, in ponds, from the atmosphere. With this implementation, the
use of oil rich algae would not be necessary - just a high residual "dry
weight" - it wouldn't matter if it was cellulose, carbohydrate or oil... The
resulting charcoal "sand" or "dust" could be ploughed into marginal land
reducing nitrogenous fertiliser input etc. I don't know what effect it would
have on already fertile land...

Nick Palmer